A shrill cry echoed in the mist

A shrill cry echoed in the mist…

A shrill cry echoed in the mist and I turned around in the dark to see Alison but I couldn’t see her, she was my best friend and hiking partner, but now I couldn’t see her behind me. I followed her footsteps while going back to her in the snow.

 After walking back for 45 mins, I finally saw her though she was injured and it looked like she had been bitten by a snake, a mountain snake. Mountain snakes a deadlier than a king cobra, and with more than one bite, you’ll be in a critical state, but thankfully Alison only had one bite on her arm. I had to get her to the hiking medic department, but it was night time and our radios only work in the daylight. I always carry cotton, bandages, and small pieces of cloth to tie them around the injured areas. Once I took them out, I tied them around Alison’s arm and she felt a little better. We started to walk again but this time I kept Alison in front of me. Sometime later we sat down and ate dinner and by the time we had finished eating, I saw the sunrise, so that meant it was only two hours before we can call a medic. 

At 9:30 am I switched on our radios and called the medic, by the time we reached back base camp Alison felt much better. Our medics took her to the tent and took good care of her and by the time she was done, we were ready to go back home and get ready for our next adventure. Alison was feeling quite enthusiastic about our next adventure and we continued to go on big hikes. At the age of 23, we completed all the peaks higher than 8,000 meters in 5 months and 25 days.

Comments

Popular Posts